Stoxticker

Latest Episode: Priddle, Weston, Weston, Fordham, England and others....listen again on iTunes or Spreaker.... POINTS UPDATED..... And next episode is March 14th.... also keep em peeled as we might have Coventry news this Sunday... Click here for info on how we can help your business...

Sunday 6 February 2011

Big Interview #1.- 605 Liam Rowe

Welcome to a regular feature where we ask the drivers a few questions in a "get to know" session. First up is up and coming Cornish driver, and also the most southerly and westerly based driver, so he truly knows about heading upward.

NAME 
Liam Rowe
HOMETOWN 
Redruth, Cornwall
AGE 
20
F2 DEBUT
2009 (St Day)
NUMBER
605
PREVIOUS FORMULAE RACED
None
CURRENT F2
Motorworld (ex 393 Chris Cuming)
HIGHEST GRADE ACHEIVED 
Blue
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
2009 St Day Whites and Yellows Champion
2010 Teen Sensations Champion
2010 St Day Whites and Yellows Champion
SPONSORS
Jeffers & Stock, S J Andrew and Son Steel Engineering, Chicken George, Heron Refinishing, ValueVanz, Gav Signs, Janner Motorsport, Jho's Stox Blog
NICKNAME(S)
Lovetap. Janner. Chuckle 2.
FAVOURITE TRACK
Bristol or Skegness - rubbish at both but still think theree preety good
TRACKS RACED
St Day, St Columb, Taunton, Bristol, Birmingham, Northampton, Skegness, Barford


JH: Thanks for breaking your winter schedule to be the first interview on the stoxblog. So how did it all begin?

Liam: Dad used to take me and Ross to St Day and Taunton and we got hooked then. Ross started back in 2004, and I made my debut as chief mechanic!! I wasn't old enough and didn't have any money..

JH: So what made you go over to the fast side of the fence

Liam: Dunno, having a go in Ross's car - the one Ian Jefferies (992) has got now. There's only so much pisstaking you do without having a go. Ross got a fair bit. I wasn't going to at first, I thought I'll save up and do it properly next year, and saw Ian Serpell's car on eBay and Ross said that it would be a good car to learn and knock about in.
We went up St Columb to test it and I was rubbish. I struggled to get to grips with it and tried to listen to what Ross was telling me.

The Ex Ian Serpell (613) car in a bit of pre season testing at St Columb


JH: Your first meeting was a real baptism of fire wasn't it?

Liam: My first meeting was St Day - it was absolutely pissing down. I was rubbish. Not a good meeting to start. It's hard at the start, certainly not as easy as it looks, more you do more you get better at it
I got to yellow by the qualifiers - and I was happy with that, and then after drinking with Chris Cuming (ex393) during his stag do and wedding, he told me that he had become disillusioned with F2 and I made him an offer for the majority of his gear. I bought it in the summer and used it first at the last St Day of the year and won my first race and then followed with another in the national.
I started 2010 flying as I rolled over at the opening Taunton, scored enough points to go blue and stayed there since.


End of Season 2009, 2 wins straight out of the box

JH: You done quite well at St Day, what do you like about the track?


Liam: Its bouncy, fun trying to keep it flat out round the straight corner (the infamous kink down the pit straight). Balls n all, get it sideways and hope for the best.

Start of season 2010 - the Cuming Motorworld in its new guise


JH: Going into the last meeting of 2010  you had led the track championship there, only to be pipped at the post by Neil Hooper (676).

Liam: Losing the track championship at St Day to Neil Hooper, you get yurself up knowing that it could be yours, and then coming home demoralised, seeing as it started so well by winning the whites and yellows championship. Just generally thoroughly pissed off, as Ross is still one -up on me.

JH: So you how have you benefitted from your older brother Ross (105)??

Liam: He spends quite a lot of time looking at how I can get better. I've got the enthuasism and he's got the knowledge. So this season will be all the gear no idea! (Ross is spending a bit of time over in Australia) Its gets quite competitive between to the two of us, with Mylaps even if I have finished in front of him, he says I got the faster lap, which is always wrong cos I'm the quickest! One of Ross' mates were out drinking one night and he asked who's actually better, Ross said I was better at downright speed, but he was better at finishing races.

JH: Whats been the best bits so far?


Liam: Probably qualifying for the semis last year at Barford. I got wiped out first corner, managed to get untangled and missed out by not much, all with 3 laps practice. Winning the Teen Sensations last year was a highlight, to boost my year, trading blows with Nathan Maidment (935) every corner, and being by far not the fastest was a highlight, certainly better than the Young Guns the night before when I was catching the leader, but crashed into my girlfriend Amy Deeble (985), who then didnt speak to me for the rest of the night!!!

Posing on his lawn with his new blue roof

JH : You've definately had a good start, what else do you want to do ?

Liam: I definately want to maintain a red roof, travel around with it, if there's enough money. Get into a world final and get that track championship at a local track. Generally being popular and entertaining, the janner will sort that out. Oh and motocross world champion! And to go karting with Jonny and Ross and not end up in the tyres!!


JH: Do you have any thank yous?

Liam: My family driving my around,, dragging me everywhere, all the sponsors, the Janners




Liam Rowe was talking to Jho Stox Blog's Jonny Hoare

No comments:

Post a Comment