Stoxticker

Latest Episode: Priddle, Weston, Weston, Fordham, England and others....listen again on iTunes or Spreaker.... POINTS UPDATED..... And next episode is March 14th.... also keep em peeled as we might have Coventry news this Sunday... Click here for info on how we can help your business...

Sunday 12 June 2011

The Big Interview #4 - 31 Simon Bassett

The Stoxblog opens up its forum and prys into another interview. This time its up and coming Cornish star Simon Bassett (31) who Lady Luck doesn't seem to like at the mo, culminating in a really nasty inicident during the final on Bank Holiday Monday at Taunton. He suffered a really nasty back injury, and thus is spending his afternoons infront of daytime telly. Cash in the Attic is the biggest incentive to get better!




NAME:  Simon Bassett

HOMETOWN:  St Blazey, Cornwall

AGE: 22

F2 DEBUT (Track): 2009 St Day

NUMBER: 31

PREVIOUS FORMULAE RACED : Westworld Stockcars

CURRENT F2:  Randall

HIGHEST GRADE ACHEIVED: Silver was 2003 youth mini points champion, but yellow in F2s

ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE:
At his debut...
2003 youth mini points champion, won a westworld metro team championship, had runner up spots in both banger and stockcar championships.

SPONSORS:
St Austell Bay Motor Auctions, Steve Andrews Tyres, St Austell Trophies, C.L Car Sales, Geoff Phillips Plant Hire

NICKNAME(S)
Got a few but the main one is "Wayne" as my dad used to race with someone called wayne who was a bit of k**b, so he calls me Wayne!

FAVOURITE TRACK:
I like St Day but love to race at Birmingham always under lights just has a real atmosphere!

TRACKS RACED:
St Day, Taunton, Mendips, Westworld, Birmingham,


With cousin, Matt Westaway (835)
JHo - Thanks Simon for taking time out of our convalescence. How did you get involved in racing?

Simon - My family have always been involved in it, my dad used to race at St Austell in a banger, my uncles all used to race, and when my cousin Matt Westaway (F2 835) first got a mini, I had to have one, went on from there really.

JHo - You raced St Columb's stock cars, whats the difference between those and F2....
In his St Columb Days - with the ex Nobby James, Adam Pearce,  Adrian Jasper, et  al and on and on car. Still going too!

Simon - The only difference really is the running gear - standard engines, gearboxes and a locked diff, and we could run any tyre up to £40, it seemed a lot better in the sense that it was a lot cheaper, and didn't seem much slower!

JHo - At the moment you're recovering from a big one, you broke your back at Taunton on Bank Holiday Monday talk us through what happened.....

Simon - Well it all happend so quick, I was really off the pace all day, couldnt get it right round St Day the day before, and it kept jumping out of gear which put me in the fence twice in practice and the first heat, me and 305 Colin Gregg was battling it out and his back bumper just clipped my front wheel which chicked the car sideways and in I went. It was 100% a racing incident, just I was in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Jho - Do you think you'll get back behind the wheel...

Simon - I think as far as this season goes thats my season over, I would never like to say never, but my health has to come first. We will get the car all fixed up and looking tidy and see how I feel, racing has always been a big part of my life and I don't think I could ever let go completely!

JHo - Enough of the down bits Whats been the best bits so far?

Simon - Best bits for me is having ago in F2, always loved watching them, and never thought I'd be able to race one, but when I started to earn my own money I decided to have ago, may sound cheesey but its good to be part of in my view the best formula in oval racing!

JHo - What would you like to achieve in the sport? Your ambitions???

Simon - I would love to be a good blue top

JHo - Do you have any thank yous?

Simon - My Dad, hes not very well due to a kidney failure, but always takes me to meetings, always puts alot of hours in on the car and helps out with the cost where he can.
Matt and Oily, they always help me out at meetings lend me spares if I don't have them, help fix the car even though they have their own F2 to run.
And Leanne, always there to support me, sacrifices most weekends to come and watch me!
And everyone who had wished me well while my back mends itself!

Simon Bassett was talking to the Stox Blog's Jonny Hoare

No comments:

Post a Comment